Thursday 7 July 2011

Arrival

Hello. Nice to be here. I've been thinking about doing this for a while.

Choosing a name was hard. I tried several cliches on the themes of school, teaching, learning, etc - and they were all horrible. I quite liked "Late For School" because we should get it clear from the start: I'm rubbish. I get everything wrong. And I'm also a bit old for this lark. A pun in the title, hurrah! But that name was taken. So I thought of the Miss Is Crying thing, and that has a pun in it too. A rubbish one. Because let's face it, if you're going to use puns they have to be crap or there's no point at all.

But I had a new problem: How would I point out the pun for those that missed it? If I called the blog "Mrs Crying Again" it would just sound naff and people might still miss it. But then Blogger asked me for a display name, and that was that. I am Mrs Crying Again and I write the blog... yeah, yeah, I know. It's a really crap pun.

It didn't happen. Move on.

This is my new motto, as taught to me last night. When you fuck up, when life gives you another swift boot in the nads (I don't have any nads, but this is a metaphor, OK?) (or maybe a simile) (I don't teach English), you just smile, say "It didn't happen" and charge on regardless. My nether regions were assaulted again yesterday. This is normal. I'm a teacher. But a newish one, and my hide hasn't thickened yet. It still hurts.

Yesterday's pain came in the form of a job interview. For teaching posts in the UK (and elsewhere for all I know), these are peculiarly nasty. You have to teach a class of kids you've never met before, you have to tick all the boxes and do all the impossible stuff teachers are supposed to do, and you have to make it look as though all that buzzword bullshit you spouted on your application form was actually true. There's no hiding. It's horrible. But it didn't happen. So that's all right.

Anyway, I'm jumping in halfway through. I should start at the beginning.

All right then. I will.

3 comments:

Ragged Thread Cartographer said...

Hello you! You succeeded with a brilliantly daft pun.
I don't know that I'd like to be a thicker-skinned person. Somehow I'd feel less of a human being. x

Mrs CryingAgain said...

Yay, hello!
You're probably right. But, you know. Ow.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I can't wait to read more. You're an inspiration, you do know that, don't you?